Carmel Valley, CA, August 08, 2015 — Carmel Valley's newest winery, Jarman Wines, will introduce two premium varietals to help benefit the Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation (ADDF) and to honor the matriarch of the family whose name graces the wines created for her. In addition, the winery has opened a tasting room in Carmel Valley that offers three levels of wine tasting and three specially themed picnic packages.
To honor her late mother Jarman Fearing Lowder’s memory, Holman Ranch manager and eldest daughter Hunter Lowder took the best hand-selected estate grapes and created two premium varietals—Jarman Chardonnay and Jarman Pinot Noir—with $1 from each bottle sold going to the ADDF.
Jarman Lowder grew up in Chattanooga, Tenn., and lived up to being voted “best all around” in high school. She earned a nursing degree, worked as an R.N. and raised three daughters with her husband, Thomas. An active volunteer, animal lover, athlete and enthusiastic traveler, Jarman wanted to spend her golden years making wine with her husband at Holman Ranch, an idyllic piece of property in Carmel Valley, Ca. they purchased to realize that dream. Tragically, Lowder died in March 2011 at age 60 following a long battle with early-onset Alzheimer's disease.
Holman Ranch and Jarman Wines partnered with the ADDF to support research toward treatments and a cure for Alzheimer’s disease and to celebrate the life of Jarman Lowder. “We wanted to honor her, give back and increase awareness,” said her daughter Hunter. “Everything we do here and the reason all this exists is because of her.”
“We appreciate the generous support of Holman Ranch and the Lowder family,” says Dr. Howard Fillit, founding Executive Director and Chief Science Officer for the ADDF. “And we are proud that 100 percent of every dollar donated through this partnership will go directly to fund drug research for Alzheimer’s disease.” Dr. Fillit knew Jarman Lowder personally and was excited by the opportunity to honor her legacy in such a meaningful way.
About the ADDF
Founded in 1998 by co-chairmen Leonard A. and Ronald S. Lauder, the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation is dedicated to rapidly accelerating the discovery of drugs to prevent, treat and cure Alzheimer's disease. It follows a venture philanthropy model, funding promising research in academia and the biotech industry. And it’s the only such charity solely dedicated to funding the development of drugs for Alzheimer’s. Since its founding, the ADDF has awarded more than $70 million to fund over 450 Alzheimer’s drug discovery programs and clinical trials in 18 countries. By supporting innovative research projects around the globe, the ADDF increases the chance of finding a cure.
About Jarman Wines
Jarman’s terroir (a French word that speaks to a wine’s place of origin, its subtle nuances of traceable character, flavor, lineage and integrity) refers to a special place in Carmel Valley—and also to a special woman who inspired a family to bottle the essence of a mother’s spirit. The Jarman label will reflect quality, with only the best local grapes used during an artisanal, small-batch winemaking process. Jarman wine uses only 100 percent estate-grown, organic and certified-sustainable grapes. Aged in French oak barrels, Jarman’s vintages are held in limited supply, and not available anywhere outside their tasting room. The two varietals include:
• The 2013 Jarman Pinot Noir takes on nuances of warm blueberry pie, cloves and cinnamon that mingle in the nose with oak notes from 10 months in the barrel. The mouth-feel is plump and juicy with overtones of cassis and blackberries.
• The 2014 Jarman Chardonnay features floral notes reminiscent of walking by a parfumerie in France — subtle and pleasant with a hint of earthiness. When serving this wine lightly chilled, rich notes of underripe berries and raw honey will waltz across your palate.
To further honor their mother’s memory, the family has opened a special tasting room in Carmel Valley Village (open noon to 5 p.m., Thurs.-Sun.; or by appointment) next to Will’s Fargo Steakhouse + Bar, the restaurant they purchased in 2014. The tastings will feature full-fledged experiences, including tours and wine education, and each will include a food element that complements the wine. The new Jarman tasting room will provide visitors with three unique experiences: Cru Tasting, Premier Cru Experience and the Grand Cru Experience.
Address: 16 W. Carmel Valley Road, Carmel Valley, CA
Visitors can purchase special picnic packages with three distinct themes from Holman Ranch Tasting Room, Jarman Wines Tasting Lounge and Will’s Fargo Steakhouse + Bar. Themed Picnics include:
• The Ranch Picnic: Club Sandwich, Turkey, Avocado, Mayonnaise, Tomato, Lettuce, Bacon and Provolone Cheese or Vegetable Sandwich with Avocado, Mayonnaise, Tomato, Lettuce, Gruyere. Picnic package also include Sea Salt Chips, Fruit Salad, Assorted Cookies and a Bottle of Sparkling or Still Water. Cost is $20 per person plus service charge and tax.
• The French Picnic: Quiche Lorraine, Saucisson Sec, Cornichon, Moutarde De Dijon, Pate a la Truffe Noir, Fromage D’ Affinois, French Baguette, Beurre Sale, Salade Mesclun and Macaroons with Perrier or Evian Sparkling Water. $30 per person plus service charge and tax.
• The Classic Picnic: Smoked Salmon, Toast, Lemon Crème Fraiche, Capers, Red Onions, Prosciutto San Daniele, Sliced Apples, Cornichon, Grilled Local Asparagus, Heirloom Tomatoes and Mozzarella, Holman Ranch Olive Oil, Balsamic Reduction, Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries and Macaroons with Pellegrino and Aqua Panna Water. 2 Splits of Chandon Rose Sparkling Wine. $40 per person plus service charge and tax.
You can also upgrade your picnic to include a bottle of wine, flowers, blanket, and/or photography. Or book time at the idyllic Holman Ranch through your Premier Cru or Grand Cru wine experiences. Create your own unique afternoon, basking in the sun and the glow of friends and loved ones; perfect for proposals, anniversaries or any other celebration. All picnic orders must be placed 24 hours in advance.
To experience a picnic in the vineyard, please contact one of our team members to see about availability. http://jarmanwine.com/tasting-room/
Marci Bracco Cain
Carmel, CA 93923