Salinas, CA, November 02, 2016 - Big Sur Health Center announces January 13–15, 2017, as the dates for its annual Big Sur Foragers Festival. This year’s partners include Carmel Valley Ranch, the sister property of longtime host Ventana Big Sur that was just named the No. 1 resort in Northern California in the Conde Nast Traveler 2016 Readers’ Choice Awards. With a resort enhancement project underway at Ventana Big Sur, the Fungus Face-Off and Grand Chef dinner will take place this year at Carmel Valley Ranch, a summer-camp-inspired resort that sprawls across 500 acres and celebrates a deep connection to the land of Carmel Valley.
The event has traditionally served as a fundraiser for the Big Sur Health Center. The community’s non-profit health center will receive the proceeds from the foraging events to help support the continued presence of local healthcare services in the Big Sur area.
New events for 2017 include:
● A Friday night winemaker dinner series will be held at select restaurants throughout Monterey County. La Balena in Carmel will participate, donating 20 percent of the proceeds to the Health Center. Will’s Fargo Restaurant + Bar in Carmel Valley and Alvarado Street Brewery and Grill in Monterey will each donate 10 percent. The Big Sur River Inn will hold a forager-themed brunch, also donating a percentage of profits to the event.
● A vendor’s market will take place following the Fungus Face Off Saturday, January 14th from 1-4 p.m. Meet the local artisans during the Face Off, then shop at the market from 4-5:30 p.m. Each vendor-partner will donate a portion of their sales to the Big Sur Health Center.
● Carmel Honey Company: Jake Reisdorf’s fifth-grade report on bees developed into a successful business model with a non-profit component. Meet young Jake and his mom Becky as they detail the wonders of honeybees.
● The Quail and Olive: Board-certified cardiologist Dr. Stephen Brabeck long recognized the health benefits of olive oil so he started a successful local business centered around a California olive oil experience.
● Salt Roots Soap Company: Meet Stephanie Wise, who started this unique artisan company with her friend Shani Fridrich. Their soaps are handmade in small batches, which creates unique beauty in the variations of design, texture and color.
● Big Sur Sea Salt: Anna Linden runs this new startup, taking advantage of the natural bounty that comes from pristine seawater along the Big Sur Coast.
● Join us for a special evening at Hyatt Carmel Highlands. Executive chef Chad Minton and the culinary team will create a three-course meal paired with wines from Bonny Doon Vineyard. The evening will begin with a reception of passed appetizers, wines from Bonny Doon and live music from Dino Vera from 6:30–7 p.m. At 7 p.m. enjoy a three-course dinner in the legendary wine room. Meet the culinary team and representatives from Bonny Doon Vineyard! There are only 24 seats available. Tickets are $175 per person and can be purchased through https://www.eventbrite.com/e/big-sur-foragers-festival-2017-tickets-26923723582
Back by Popular Demand:
● An exclusive Friday night dinner at Sierra Mar restaurant at Post Ranch Inn with a special menu and a unique opportunity to enjoy wines from their award-winning wine cellar. This event is limited to 14 people.
● The “Fungus Face-Off” will take place in a beautiful tented setting on the Pete Dye-designed golf course at Carmel Valley Ranch. This popular event sells out early. There are 250 available tickets, priced at $65 per person.
Fungus Face Off Winery and Brewery Partners Include:
● Holman Ranch
● Mesa Del Sol
● McIntyre Vineyards
● Twisted Roots
● Chesebro Wines
● De Tierra Vineyards
● Morgan Winery
● Bonny Doon Vineyards
● Filipponi Ranch Cellars
● Firestone Walker Brewing Company
● Belgian Pacific
● Blair Winery
● Alvarado Street Brewery
● Mad Otter Ale
Fungus Face Off Chef and Restaurant Partners Include:
● Chef Tim Wood, Valley Kitchen, Carmel Valley Ranch
● Chef Matt Glazer, Glazer Food and Beverage
● Chef Chad Minton, Hyatt Carmel Highlands
● Chef Soerke Peters, Basil Seasonal Dining
● Chef Angela Tamura, Peppoli
● Chef Cy Yontz, Rio Grill
● Chef Todd Fisher, Tarpy’s Roadhouse
● Pastry Chef Ben Spungin, Sierra Mar
● The Culinary Team at Alvarado Street Brewery
● Quail and Olive
● Carmel Honey Company
● Big Sur Sea Salt
● Salt Roots Soap Company
Grand Chef Dinner at Carmel Valley Ranch — details to be announced soon.
Two foraging walks led by Steve Copeland and his expert team from Big Sur Guides. An easy “Wild Mushroom Walk and Talk” at Pfeiffer State Park and a nearby intermediate walk. This year, both hikes will be held on Sunday. There are 30 spaces available per walk. Tickets are $60 per person.
For event details visit www.bigsurforagersfestival.org. Tickets can be purchased at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/big-sur-foragers-festival-2017-tickets-26923723582.
Marci Bracco Cain
Salinas, CA 93901