Big Sur, CA, November 05, 2015 - Big Sur Health Center, a non-profit organization offering affordable healthcare to the Big Sur community, announced January 15-17, 2016 as the dates of its annual Big Sur Foragers Festival. Held in Big Sur along California’s central coast, the festival is a weekend-long celebration featuring an amazing array of wild foods, world-class wine and beer, entertainment, expert-led foraging hikes and a friendly chef competition with celebrity judges. This year’s partners include Ventana Big Sur, longtime hosts of the Fungus Face-Off and the Celebrity Chef dinner, along with a new strategic partner, Post Ranch Inn, which will host several different events.
The event has traditionally served as a fundraiser for the Big Sur Health Center. The community's non-profit health center will receive the proceeds from the foraging events to continue to support the presence of local health care services in the Big Sur area.
“As the new owners of Ventana Big Sur, we are looking forward to continuing the tradition of supporting the Big Sur Health Center.” said Catherine Becker, General Manager.
“Post Ranch is very excited to co-host this year’s Big Sur Foragers Festival with Ventana,” said Mike Higgins, Vice President of Operations for Passport Resorts, the owners of Post Ranch Inn. “We have always firmly believed in the importance of supporting local organizations and could not imagine the Big Sur community without the vital contributions provided by the Health Center.”
The three day festival affords Big Sur area restaurants the opportunity to host the culinary expertise of notable chefs who will be preparing unique fare ranging from rustic to elegant, paired alongside the central coast region's amazing selection of wine and beer.
Tickets are on sale Monday, November 2nd www.eventbrite.com/e/big-sur-foragers-festival-tickets-19288671937.
New events for 2016 include:
Friday, January 15th:
• 5:30 Friday evening - Cocktail reception and fungus presentation by Louie Schwartzberg followed by 5 course tasting menu prepared by Chef John Cox with wine pairings selected by Sierra Mar wine director Dominique DaCruz. $500 per person. Limited to 22 tickets. Reservations to be made thru Post Ranch Reservations at 800 527 2200.
Sunday, January 17th:
• 11 a.m. Sunday morning - Property forage hike and lunch with Chef John Cox. Guest will enjoy an exclusive property wide tour of Post Ranch Led by Executive Chef John Cox followed by a 3 course lunch with wine pairing featuring items foraged on property and local wines. Limited to 16 people at $200 per person. Reservations made at 800 527 2200.This hike is weather permitting.
Back by Popular Demand:
Saturday, January 16th:
• Saturday, January 16th: This year there will be two "Wild Foraging Walk and Talk" - one at Pfeiffer State Park (level beginner) and one through the Big Sur Wilderness (level intermediate). Cost per hike $60.00. (Saturday, January 16th 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.)
• Saturday, January 16th "Fungus Face-Off" on the deck at Ventana Big Sur. "Fungus Face-Off" on the deck at Ventana Big Sur! "Fungus Face-Off" at Ventana Big Sur from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm. Cost per person is $60. A friendly competition among some of the area's notable chefs featuring chanterelles and other fabulous fungi. Attendees also have an opportunity to cast their vote for "People's Choice". (Saturday, January 16th 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
• A silent auction full of culinary delights, hotel stays, tickets to explore the area, art and so much more will take place during the food and wine sampling. There will be more than 60 items this year! Purchase raffle tickets for $5 per ticket of $25 for 6 tickets. Enter to win your choice of 7 culinary delights or hotel packages! Raffle package values begin at $200 to $700! Tickets available for purchase at the event.
• The Big Sur Foragers Festival announces its Grand Chef Dinner at Ventana Big Sur. The "Foragers Dinner" at the Restaurant at Ventana will be held Saturday, January 16th, 2016 beginning at 6:00 pm. The multi-course dinner, destined to be a memorable feast paired with an incredible wine selection. Early bird tickets available for $150 inclusive from November 2nd – November 31st. Tickets will be sold for $175 beginning December 1.
Sunday, January 17th:
• Forager's Kitchen: Master Class in Cooking - Foraged Foods at Home at the Big Sur Lodge: A fun, fast-paced panel of some of Big Sur and Carmel's best chefs known for cooking with such foraged foods as chanterelles, sorrel, nettles and natural sea salt. Participants will get to taste the foods demonstrated by the chefs and take new recipes home. Chefs to be announced. (Sunday, January 17 - 2 to 4 pm) - Tickets will be on sale December 1st. Only 30 spaces available.
Tickets on sale now (2nd www.eventbrite.com/e/big-sur-foragers-festival-tickets-19288671937. For event details and venue information, visit www.bigsurforagersfestival.org or follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/bigsurforagersfestival.
Marci Bracco Cain
Salinas, CA 93901