Carmel, CA, September 03, 2018 - Center for Photographic Art The Center for Photographic Art (CPA) expands its reach beyond Carmel, California with its first exhibition in Santa Cruz, CA, at that city’s premier art space, the R. Blitzer Gallery. A broad-ranging invitational exhibition, STATE OF THE ART (SOTA) features an exciting diversity of work from prominent Northern California photographers. The exhibition will run from November 2 through November 29, 2018, and will kick off with a festive opening reception during Santa Cruz’s First Friday, November 2, from 5:00 to 8:00 pm. In addition, workshops and panel discussions that highlight the SOTA exhibition will take place in the gallery during the entire month of November.
CPA welcomes a new and wider audience to experience an exhibition by leading Northern California artists who are exploring contemporary issues using a diverse range of current and historical mediums including digital imaging, wet plate collodian, platinum, and mixed media installations. The artists include Binh Danh, whose powerful images on leaves and contemporary daguerreotypes have expanded the medium, Bob Kolbrener’s large scale gelatin silver prints, Robin Lasser and Adrienne Pao’s provocative Dress Tent series, Katherine Mayo’s large, expressive tintype portraits of Selma, Alabama residents, Sara Friedlander’s evocative mixed media ruminations on immigration, Jerry Takigawa’s striking imagery of his family’s World War II-era internment, and Huntington Witherill’s dynamic digital manipulation, among others.
In addition to the exhibition, on Saturday, November 3, CPA will host a digital printing workshop with digital printing expert, Eric Joseph, Senior Vice President, Freestyle Photographic. Following the workshop, CPA will present a SOTA panel discussion, “Breaking Boundaries,” moderated by CPA’s Executive Director, renowned photographer and teacher, Brian Taylor, and Wallace Baine, beloved former Santa Cruz Sentinel Arts Editor and freelance art writer. Then, on Wednesday, November 14, CPA hosts a special reception with former long-time Congressman, Honorable Sam Farr, to acknowledge his contributions and support of the photographic arts in the Monterey Bay area.
Finally, as a complement to the exciting SOTA exhibition CPA will host an online competition juried by Ann Hazel, Director, Radius Gallery, Santa Cruz, and photographer, educator and CPA Assistant Director, Rick Murai. All are welcome to enter and vie for five hundred dollars in prizes. All entries will be featured on CPA’s website and be viewable by our global audience. A lively and informative jurors’ talk and awards presentation will take place on Saturday, November 17.
Join us in celebrating the Center for Photographic Art’s State of the Art exhibition and its foray into the North Monterey Bay area with a month of groundbreaking photography and events at the R. Blitzer Gallery in Santa Cruz. The R. Blitzer Gallery is located in a sprawling renovated warehouse once home to the historic Wrigley Chewing Gum factory, and now integral to the hip renaissance taking place on Santa Cruz’s West Side. Don’t miss the festive First Friday Opening Reception on Friday, November 2, 5:00 to 8:00 pm.
To learn more about SOTA and accompanying events go to: https://photography.org/event/state-of-the-art/
• STATE OF THE ART Exhibition • Freestyle Photo Workshop
• STATE OF THE ART “Breaking Boundaries” panel discussion and reception
• Special Evening with former Congressman, Honorable Sam Farr
• STATE OF THE ART online competition awards presentation and Juror’s talk
• Exhibition: November 2 – 29, 2018, Opening reception November 2, 5:00 to 8:00 pm
• Freestyle Photo Workshop: Saturday, November 3, Noon to 4:00 pm
• STATE OF THE ART “Breaking Boundaries” panel discussion, Saturday November 3, 6:00 to 7:30 pm; Reception: 7:30 to 8:30 pm
• Reception and award presentation with Honorable Sam Farr, November 14, 5:00 to 7:00 pm
• STATE OF THE ART online competition entry period: September 26 – November 6. Juror’s event, Saturday, November 17, 4:00 to 7:00 pm
R. Blitzer Gallery
2801 Mission Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060,
Gallery hours: Noon to 5:00 pm, Tuesday through Saturday
• State of the Art Exhibition: Free, open to the public
• Freestyle Photo Digital Printing Workshop and “Breaking Boundaries” panel discussion, General admission: $75 for both (includes CPA membership), CPA Members: $35 for both. Space is limited, tickets available via EventBrite
• Hon. Sam Farr Reception, free
• SOTA Online competition entry: $35 for four images.
PR Images: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jedlfeinl67paap/AADuG_TnuEstgFFZ-W3ae1Kwa?dl=0 Info: www.photography.org
CENTER FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC ART
San Carlos and 9th Avenue
P.O. Box 1100
Carmel, CA 93921
Brian Taylor, Executive Director
ABOUT CENTER FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC ART
Tracing our roots back to the Friends of Photography, founded in 1967, the Center for Photographic Art (CPA) remains the second oldest members’ photography gallery organization in the country. A short walk from Ocean Avenue in Carmel, CA brings you to the venerable gallery launched by iconic artists Ansel Adams, Cole Weston, and Wynn Bullock. Today, CPA continues to serve as a valuable cultural resource to its members, the community and the greater world of the photographic arts.
Marci Bracco Cain
Salinas, CA 93901